I, personally, am a fan of making the web more accessible. I like the idea that more people will be able to use the things I build, and I like the challenges associated with building a more accessible web. Here are some of my favorite resources for doing so:
Understanding accessibility laws and guidelines:
- Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act
- Title II of The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- WAI-ARIA Authoring Practices
Accessibility testing and auditing tools:
- aXe Developer Tools
- Colorblind Web Page Filter
- Siteimprove (Chrome extension)
Tools while you build:
- Access Lint – Automatically test your pull requests
- Colorsafe – Test font and color combinations
- Tanaguru contrast finder – Color contrast tester
- Random11y – Random, high-contrast color combination
- Web Disability Simulator – Chrome extension that does exactly what it sounds like.
- a11y – Command line tool.
- AATT – Automated testing tool.
- A11y Project
- VS Code Web Accessibility extension